It's no secret that I enjoy reading, but I also enjoying watching interesting television shows. Lately, I've been pulled towards ...

Got Drama?


It's no secret that I enjoy reading, but I also enjoying watching interesting television shows. Lately, I've been pulled towards Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean Dramas. This is a list of what I've thoroughly enjoyed watching.



1. Scarlet Heart Ryeo (Korean) - This show walked me into Period Dramas and made sure I fell in love with them. The actors all did well in portraying their characters which is a major plus because some of the villains were so easy to absolutely hate thanks to the great acting. The lead male and female couple has incredible chemistry and I ended up liking the male lead actor so much I watched several shows just because he acts in them. The drama is a roller coaster of emotions which attests to the acting and script.

2. General and I (Chinese)- This is a Chinese Period Drama which is based on a novel. The female lead is a brilliant military tactician who ends up falling in love with the "enemy." The story has some of the best lead characters I've ever watched. Both are extremely intelligent, crafty and loyal. The show spans over 45 episodes so there is a lot of movement, action and some serious angst.

3. The King's Woman (Chinese) - This is yet another Chinese Period Drama but it's based around a Chinese emperor who sought to unite the kingdoms in China and was known for being a coldblooded killer. The show gives this emperor a multi-dimensial platform to where it is clear he is ruthless and cunning but also capable of genuine feelings, as well. The female lead is, as I've noticed I'm drawn to, emotionally and physically strong and capable. This isn't a fluffy tale but I promise it's extremely interesting.

4. The Bride of the Water God (Korean) - I saw many reviews on this show which were not so good but I'm glad I ignored them and watched the show. The male lead, the Water God, is from Scarlet Heart Ryeo. This is originally why I even considered watching the show because I liked the male lead's acting ability. This storyline centers on the Water God who is arrogant and believes humans to be less than him and a human who is from a long line of servants of the Gods. The show is comical because of all the mishaps, misunderstandings and clashing of personalities. There is depth given to the show so it isn't what I would call a light-hearted romantic comedy but the angst level isn't a 10/10, either.

5. Ice Fantasy (Chinese) - This is a Fantasy drama which is based off of a book. All of the actors are fantastic, the one male lead is the same lead from Prince of Lan Ling. This show has action, drama, magic and romance. The major plot line runs along the Fire Tribe's hatred of the Ice Tribe and all the Ice Tribe's princes must do to ensure peace among the realms and stop the Fire Tribe. Each character has a strong presence and depth which makes the show even more interesting to see.



6. The Princess Weiyoung (Chinese) - Without a doubt, this is one of the best shows I've ever watched. This Period Drama made me cry more than I should ever cry over a television show. This is a bittersweet show where there is happiness sprinkled into the mix of angst, tragedy and sadness that makes up The Princess Weiyoung. The lead female actress and male actor are superb. I've seen them in other shows and love almost anything I watch with them because of their acting abilities. The female lead is cunning, loyal, giving and one of my favorite female characters of all time. The story line follows the female lead from her birth to the birth of her own child which spans over 19 years of life. It's a story of survival, revenge and love.

7. Prince of Lan Ling (Chinese) - The story focuses on a prince who is known for his military accomplishments and genuine leadership and a young priestess who learns of his fate as a child and later in life falls in love with him. As with most historical stories, there are elements of fantasy and power struggles. The male lead is one of the most genuinely good and self-sacrificing characters I've ever run across. The chemistry between he and the female lead are realistic and work so well. The female lead is wonderful and her character is strong yet soft which I enjoy. I would say this is definitely worth watching, especially if you find yourself fond of historical stories! 

8. My Secret Romance (Korean) - This is a romantic comedy set in modern day South Korea. It's cute, witty and fun. The male and female leads will make you giggle, sigh and want them to work through it all. As with many Korean Dramas, this is on the short side with how many episodes but it's entertaining and definitely a nice change of pace from a lot of the heavy and emotional Dramas I have on this list. 



9. Lost Love in Times (Chinese) - First and foremost, I have to say I LOVE William Chan. There's just something about him that I love. A lot of people find him to be a weak actor and all of that but I genuinely enjoy watching him on screen-I've seen him in other Dramas. Now that I've said that, we can focus on the historical fantasy that is Lost Love in Times. The beginning few episodes feel rushed because the Drama crams the love affair into them to set up the rest of the show. This show is very emotional, as tends to go most historical stories, and has many moving parts. If you're a sucker for love winning out in the end, this is definitely one to watch.


10. Faith (Korean) - Most of this show takes place during the last years of the Goryeo period in Korean history. A modern-day doctor is taken back to ancient Korea by a warrior in order to save the Queen. While it should be simple, the story quickly gets more and more complicated while love seems to find a way. The ending is sweet, the story moves well and it's definitely something to watch. 



11. Moonlight Drawn by Clouds (Korean) - Yet another historical story because I have a thing for them, okay? This is set during the Joseon period of Korea's history. The prince is playful and known to mess about rather than take anything too serious. He is the male lead who matures and grows throughout the show and it's super easy to adore him. The female lead ends up disguising herself as a male and enters the palace unwillingly with the help of the prince. The characters grow together and thus a love story is born. You'll notice a romantic nut so, yes, all of the stuff I watch has some type of romantic line somewhere! 

12. Attention, Love! (Taiwanese) - This is a modern-day high school Drama set in Taiwan. The story gets emotional at times and has enough quirks to keep it interesting without being boring. There is character growth and development, amusing comments and moments and a happy ending. Overall, I really enjoyed watching this and it kept my attention. 




14. Fall in Love with Me (Taiwanese) - Aaron Yan is the male lead in this show and he's absolutely gorgeous! He's probably my favorite Asian celebrity on this planet. Fall in Love with Me is a modern-day Taiwanese Drama about an advertising guru who needs to find his inspiration and a struggling advertising agency that is owned by the female lead. Through many twists, the leads fall in love but the male lead is living a dual life which starts to catch up with him. This can get really emotional at times but there is definitely a lot of laughter and comedic relief! Honestly, I watched it just for Aaron Yan but ended up really enjoying the show. 



15. Descendants of the Sun (Korean) - I have to start off by saying I saw the male lead in another Korean Drama and just liked him so I looked up other shows he's done and chose this one. I do not regret choosing this Drama because it was, without a doubt, one of my absolutely favorite modern-day K-Dramas I've ever watched to date. It's about an upper level special ops military guy who ends up falling for a doctor and their lives become intertwined even when they don't plan on it. The struggles between the two involve internal factors such as personal views on life and duty and external factors such as the male lead's career forcing him to disappear and become injured. The series is about average length, only 16 episodes, but it will bring a lot of feelings to you and really move you-at least, it totally moved me! 

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these with us. It sounds like they are pretty great shows. Have never checked out any of these. Time to expend my horizon a little ^^
    I love any shows that are good to follow and have a nice story line.
    www.rainbowsdreamcloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen any of these but it sounds like there's a few good ones in there. It might be time for me to try a new genre! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete